Sunday, August 10, 2008

Return of the King!

I can't say it was the same as it had been for the last eight years, but I will say seeing Barry Bonds on the field at AT&T Park last night was the highlight of the 2008 season for me.

It still amazes me that the greatest player of all time is primed and ready to go, and there's not a single team working on signing him going into the stretch.

I equate it to the movie ratings system (HA! Take that all you that would ask what this has to do with the SLC). Entirely voluntary, however if you don't play ball, your ability to market your property is cut off at the knees. So no one, whether they want to or not, dares hire the superstar so as to avoid any negative press that might come with such a decision.

Something tells me that fan support, which would likely be vehement at first, would turn quickly if they suddenly found themselves with a potent weapon to lead them into the post season.

I'd welcome that just to see Bonds get the World Series ring he so deserved in 2002, before Dusty Baker flushed the Giants chances down the toilet by doing what he always did best, letting his worst pitchers play at the worst possible times. That's why all the players loved him, and why anyone who truly thought the 2002 Giants was a championship team despises him.

On the bright side, I now have a Bonds highlight recorded in HD that I can relive on the DVR at a moment's notice.

No comments: