Thursday, August 28, 2008

Bob Wilkins


For those of you who grew up in and around the Bay Area, Bob Wilkins will be a familiar name. Bob hosted our late night horror movies on Creature Features from 1971 to 1979.

It was on Bob's show that I originally saw Night of the Living Dead (and countless other monster movies) for the first time.

Peter and I ran a lengthy interview with Bob back in the early days of bare•bones, and I finally had the chance to meet the man a few years later at Wondercon. It was quite a thrill.

In recent years, Bob has been suffering from Alzheimer's Disease. His wife Sally has put out a call for donations to help with the expenses of his long term care. You can read her letter to Bob's fans here.

If you share fond memories of Bob and his show, I hope you'll consider donating. I'll offer you an even easier way that you can help. As someone who grew up with Bob, and without whom we might not be celebrating the 40th anniversary of Night of the Living Dead next month, I make the following pledge.

For each person who attends the entire All Day of the Dead marathon, I will donate $50 to the Bob Wilkins Alzheimer's Fund. In addition, for each person that doesn't attend the full day, but is present for the Night of the Living Dead (1968) screening, I will donate $10.

While that may not sound like much, it's a guaranteed minimum of $50 (as I'll watch the darn films by myself even if no one else shows up!), $600 if we're at capacity all day! I encourage you to talk to your friends who may know Bob, and get them to sponsor you. Tell them you'll sit through 12 hours of flesh eating ghouls on Bob's behalf, and all they have to offer is $1, or $5, or $10 a movie. Donations can be made directly through PayPal, so they don't even have to give you the money. And it's tax deductible.

It wasn't my intention for the All Day of the Dead party to become a fundraiser, and you're certainly under no obligation to do anything more than come by and enjoy the food and films. But somehow it seems appropriate. If you're unable to attend, but are interested in sponsoring me (or any of our guests) let me know.

Bob always said watching horror movies would keep America strong. Here's our chance to prove him right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happened upon your blog via Google Blog Search!Congratulations on your Bob Wilkins fundraiser! I had the good fortune of seeing "Night of the Living Dead" on the big screen for the first time last Thursday during the Monterey Bay Area premier of "Watch Horror Films, Keep America Strong!" at the Del Mar Theatre here in Santa Cruz. It was a double bill, and even more enjoyable than I thought it would be, as we were treated to a talk between films with John Stanley and Rob Wilkins, Bob's son.

My association with Creature Features goes back to 1973, when I was 9 years old. I don't know how else I would have been up to date on the Hammer films and the Star Trek conventions, which Bob always talked about on his show.

Bob is scheduled to attend two events here in Northern California next March: one in El Cerrito and another in Sacramento, which will be hosted by Mr. Lobo of Cinema Insomnia! Hope you can make it for those!

Josh said...

Turns out I was mistaken about these shows--please disregard!