Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Celebrating 30 years of conspiracy and paranoia

One of the benefits of announcing a movie party early is that the theme has time to breathe. This Saturday's party will be all the better by my having time to figure out the right pairing.of films It took me no less than three secretly announced films on the calendar to find the perfect fit with Capricorn One.

For me, Capricorn One represents one of the first 'adult' films I saw in the theater. (For the time, I still consider King Kong and Star Wars as kids movies) Like so many important films, it was first experienced at Century 22 in 1978 (sometime around it's June 2nd premiere, I'm sure).

As I thought long and hard about a companion film for the party, my first instinct was to follow the space aspect, hence Journey to the Far Side of the Sun. But as you know, or will soon find out, it's not really about space.

So I started thinking about conspiracy. Hangar 18 was something I'd been interested in watching for some time. It featured Kolchak himself - Darren McGavin. Unfortunately, the only DVD available has a sub-par dubbed VHS caliber transfer.

Then it hit me. Conspiracy breeds paranoia. 1978 saw the release of another classic film with such a theme. Another 'adult' film I recall watching at Century 22, this one quite possibly the opening weekend (December 20th). Once that hit me, our slate was set.

So this Saturday, we hope you'll join us for the 30th anniversary one-two punch of Peter Hyams' Capricorn One, and Philip Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

No comments: